20 Cool Facts about North Korea
We all know of North Korea as a country which is under army rule and is strict with implementation of rules. Certain surprising and cool facts that you might not know are also famous about North Korea. Below are listed some of these cool facts that you would be amazed to know.
1. You can easily get marijuana
Buying marijuana is very easy in North Korea and it is also not considered illegal to purchase the same.
2. Unique Calendar
The calendar is unique in North Korea. Unlike the rest of the world, the calendar in North Korea is based on Kim II Sung’s date of birth, 15thApril, 1912.
3. Elections are unique too
Though elections are held every five years, they are unique in the sense that voters have only one option to choose from.
4. No working traffic lights
Notwithstanding the increasing traffic in North Korea, surprisingly traffic lights do not work here. The entire traffic is controlled by manual police.
5. Home to World’s largest stadium
North Korea has the largest stadium in the world. The Rungnado May Day stadium has over 150,000 seats.
6. Generations of violators end up in prison
Committing crime in North Korea is not easy. If a person is an offender, his or her three generations are imprisoned.
7. You need to learn to play accordions
You have to learn to play accordion in North Korea. All teachers were required to learn to play it in 1990’s.
8. Fake Peace city exists in North Korea
In an attempt to intimidate South Korea, North Korea has built the so called peace city near the border.
9. Anyone can read constitution
Though freedom of speech is not a reality in North Korea, almost everyone has the freedom to read the constitution.
10. Kim Jong kidnapped a film director
In an attempt to make films highlighting his praise, Kim Jong kidnapped Shin Sang to make movies for him.
11. North Korea created its own Godzilla
Inspired by the success of Godzilla movie, North Korea created its own masterpiece Pulgasari.
12. Kim Il-Sung is still the eternal leader
Though generations of Kim Il-Sung have taken over, he is still considered to be the eternal leader of North Korea.
13. Kim Jong IL imported Cognac worth $763,000 a year
Kim Jong IL had a taste for brandy and imported Cognac worth $763,000 a year.
14. North Korea claims to have 99% literacy
It stakes claim to the fact that it has 99% literacy which equals that of US.
15. North Korea has pleasure grounds
North Korea has its own variants of Disneyland and claims to have 3 of them for public entertainment.
16. Kim Jong IL’s body is a public memorial
The body has been preserved for public to pay their obedience to the late leader.
17. Basketball has its own rules
Unlike rest of world, Basketball in North Korea has its own set of rules. Points are deducted for missed free throws.
18. Some Americans are voluntarily living in North Korea
It is indeed surprising but true that you will find some Americans living voluntarily living in North Korea.
19. Limited television channels
North Korea has only three television channels and out of these two are available on weekends only.
20. North Koreans are happy with their lives
Irrespective of what the rest of world thinks about them, North Koreans are much happier with their present lives.